We break down all the new releases announced for Blu-Ray and DVD that any genre fan would be happy to own or perhaps check out for the first time.
U.S. label Severin Films has dated its upcoming Blu-ray release of director Peter Medak’s cult film The Changeling (1980), starring George C. Scott, Trish Van Devere, Melvyn Douglas, Jean Marsh, and John Colicos.
The label will have available for purchase a Limited Edition Blu-ray release, which will include a CD with the original soundtrack for the film as well as a slipcover. A third, bundle edition, will also include 8X24 LE screen printed poster, enamel pin, and replica ball.
Mad with grief over the deaths of his wife and daughter, composer George C. Scott decides to retire from the world into an ominous, remote mansion—but he’s got company, in the form of a murdered child’s restless spirit. Based on recorded supernatural incidents at the Henry Treat Rogers Mansion in Denver, Peter Medak’s gracefully shot, relentlessly atmospheric film is one of the most spine- tinglingly effective haunted house movies ever made, one sure to instill in new viewers a lifelong fear of self-propelling wheelchairs and rubber balls.
Special Features and Technical Specs:
- BRAND NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM
- Audio Commentary With Director Peter Medak and Producer Joel B. Michaels Moderated By Severin Films’ David Gregory
- The House On Cheesman Park: The Haunting True Story Of The Changeling
- The Music Of The Changeling: Interview With Music Arranger Kenneth Wannberg
- Building The House Of Horror: Interview With Art Director Reuben Freed
- The Psychotronic Tourist: The Changeling
- Master of Horror Mick Garris On The Changeling
- Poster & Still Gallery
- TV Spot
The release will be available for purchase on August 7.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation
Oh boy, here comes an out-of-left-fielder. Of all the titles Scream Factory could bestow their special Collector’s Edition title to they choose one of the most maligned entries in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise. 1994’s Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (the 4th TCM installment starring Renee Zellweger and Matthew McConaughey) is coming to Blu-ray from us this Fall! Here are the early details at the present time:
• This will be branded as a “Collector’s Edition” that will come with a slipcover (guaranteed for three months after its original release date). U.S. and Canada territories (Region A).
• Extras and specs are still in progress and will be announced later in August. What we can confirm today is that we will have a high-definition transfer of the theatrical cut. We are working on obtaining the extended version and will update you on the progress in the future.
• The newly-commissioned artwork pictured comes to us from Joel Robinson (Silent Night Deadly Night, The Serpent and the Rainbow, Ninja III, etc). This art will be front-facing and the reverse side of the wrap will the original theatrical poster design.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation is planned for September 25th.
Scream For Help
From Scream Factory comes the 1984 cult classic thriller from Director Michael Winner (Death Wish, The Sentinel) on Blu-ray for the first time this September!
Terror invades an upper-class New York community as 17-year old Christie Cromwell cleverly uncovers her stepfather’s horrifying plot to murder her wealthy mother. She’s on to him, yet no one will believe her because she’s just a kid: smart, imaginative, maybe she’s just taken a crazy idea to the limit. Suspense builds when a series of shocking events confirms her worst fears. Alone, afraid and helpless, terrified Christie and her mother are held prisoner in their own home at the mercy of ruthless killers.
Extras are still in progress and will be announced on a later date.
The national release date for Scream For Help September 18th
The often-requested ’70s haunted house film The Evil is finally coming to Blu-ray for the first time, Scream Factory just announced!
In the film…
“A psychologist (Richard Crenna) and his wife (Joanna Pettet) buy a dilapidated historical mansion with a dark past in this terrifying chiller. Hoping to restore the estate and turn it into a drug rehabilitation clinic, he accepts the help of some of his students and current patients. But when a secret door in the basement of the house is opened, the malevolent presence within is unleashed, trapping everyone inside. One by one, they are picked off by the unspeakable terror that has awoken … and the doctor learns that even though his name is on the deed, the house belongs soul-ly to The Evil. Victor Buono, Andrew Prine, and Cassie Yates also star.”
Extras will be ported over from the prior DVD release. And Scream Factory will be doing a new high-definition film transfer taken from the only surviving archival print.
National street date for The Evil is September 18.
Don’t Grow Up
Magnolia Home Entertainment has officially announced and detailed its upcoming Blu-ray release of Thierry Poiraud’s thriller Don’t Grow Up.
A group of teenage delinquents living in a youth center wake up to find themselves all alone with no one to watch over them. The teens celebrate their newfound freedom by partying, playing loud music and visualizing a life without guardians. After the excitement fades, they decide to leave the group home for good. Upon arriving in the nearby town, they find the streets deserted, and in a post-apocalyptic state. The few adults they do encounter all seem to be infected by a mysterious epidemic, making them blood-thirsty and psychotic. In order to survive, they need to band together and find a route to safety.
- Making of Don’t Grow Up
- On The Set: Languages And The Director
- Inside The Group: Cast And Characters
The release will be available for purchase on July 3.
Images: Shudder, Magnolia, Shout Factory, New Line Cinema, Severin Films